CLIENT: Details withheld
PRODUCT: Revised Fire Evacuation Plan, Fire Management Plan and Fire Training
This substantial residential purpose-built apartment block was constructed approximately 12 years ago close to the city centre of Manchester. The building provides 252 apartments over 8 floors with a car park under the residential area and cladding fitted on the entire external face of the building.
A compartmentation survey was completed following a fire risk assessment and many concerns raised with the compartmentation, in addition to the external façade system.
Following this report, the local fire authority was asked to assist and changes were requested.
The building had a ‘stay put’ policy, following instructions from the fire authority, this was to be changed to a simultaneous evacuation policy.
The original brief from the client was to provide a new evacuation policy and work with the managing agent and residents committee to ensure there were no concerns over their safety during this process.
Working in partnership with the managing agent, employer of the concierge team, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service, fire extinguisher supplier, fire detection supplier and fire engineers, a plan was implemented where extra smoke detection was installed throughout. I then designed and delivered a training package to assist the concierge staff in various remits:
- The timely and safe evacuation of residents
- How to use the correct fire extinguisher on a developing fire
- Implement and understand Personal Emergency Evacuation Procedure
- How to update the attending Fire and Rescue Service on the outcome, in the event of evacuation
- Advising on what can be stored in and around the building’s car park and external facade
- Regular building checks both internal and external
- Improved security, following information that members of the homeless community were gaining entry to sleep in remote areas
- Providing improved PPE and extra equipment to assist with the extra duties, wet weather and hi-visibility clothing, radio system, loud hailer, clipboard, and pens, etc
Policies were put in place ensuring that they meet with legislation under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, appease the fire authority, the insurance company and provide peace of mind for the residents